Monday, October 8, 2007

Where is Fall?

Our Great Niece, Jodie is lamenting about where the fall colors are, and she, being in Okinawa, is unlikely to be able to enjoy fall colors or fall temperatures till they get transferred home. Whereas, I , being in the United States of America, located just below a state known for its' mountain scenery, am about to begin my lament on exactly the same thing. WHERE IS FALL? It was 94 degrees here yesterday and y'all, I don't think it's asking to much for the temperatures to cool down now. Oh, they keep promising, but the promises are hollow. And the closest thing we get to rain is a heavy dew. Now, we all know what a heavy dew is indicative of. Heavy humidity. Instead of that lovely heady smell of drying leaves and a cool crisp breeze, what is that I smell wafting in the air? Mildew. I can't bear it. The leaves on the trees are turning because we haven't had rain in so long most of them are in their death throes. What galls me the most is the very thought that Al Gore may have been right and I have to admit to it. It's beginning to look like Global Warming is not only a possibility, but a likelihood. So what do we do to stop it? I don't think we have to stop living, I think we have to stop living recklessly. They've been telling us about the rain forest destruction for years, but I haven't heard about it lately, have you? The Arbor Society has been pleading with people to plant trees for as long as I can remember and we're so busy cutting them down, they can't grow fast enough to keep up with the pace. Yeah yeah yeah, I know, I'm on my soapbox again. Only, I think it may be a tree stump I'm standing on, since soapboxes are now made out of cardboard which are made of pulp which come from pulp wood which come from...yes, trees. Our demand for THINGS is what got us into this fix, I'm afraid. And two words. I WANT. So, we let the big manufacturing companies get away with, for wont of a better word, murder, for years because it is in our best interest to keep prices down so we can afford to buy THINGS. We let them pollute the streams, which pollutes the rivers, which pollutes the Oceans, and what's left? And what started all this rant? I want to know where is Fall. I want to know where is the rain. I want to know is Winter a thing of the past, too?

5 comments:

Abbie said...

You are right! It was 95 degrees here yesterday too. I was too weak to do anything because of the heat.
Althought next week we are supposed to be getting better weather. I had to check, I needed to know how long we'd have to stand this "fall"

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Amen to that, sister! We're supposed to have highs in the mid 80's this week. I'll believe it when I feel it.
I refuse to admit Gore is right about anything, however. I think that worm just jumped on the global warming bandwagon because it makes him look like a caring human. And. I. Ain't. Buying. It. Mainly because his home in Tennessee uses more energy in one year than mine does over about 3 years. I think he's just a putz and I'll leave it at that. However, I'm afraid there may be something to this whole global warming thing...I know MY globes are feeling mighty warm. But that may be the menpause talking. It's so freakin' hard to tell anymore....

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

I can't imagine what it must be like to have to put up with those temperatures in October!!! I'm not good with heat-I prefer being too cold than too hot. I hope it cools down soon-shame you can't pop over here for a trip xxx

Mary said...

We have fall here. Its been fairly sunny during the day but cools down at about 5pm.But then we didn't really have any summer but thats not so unusual for GB is it? I'm sure you remember that.

Jodie Adams said...

I just couldn't agree with you more. I too wonder the same things. It is sad that we have ruined the beautiful world that God provided for us. Have you watched Evan Almighty? Well there's a scene in it where God (played by Morgan Freeman) shows the main character what a valley looked like before humans ruined it. It was just so sad. I was on the brink of tears. But you know how people are it will just get worse and worse. So as for the winter you are wondering about, who even knows? I know it's not coming my way anytime soon. sniffle sniffle.