Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Thanksgiving Challenge Post 11: Rain Rain Stay and Play, even to another day!

I'm a bit late today. This morning we had to get up early and go to Hartsville. After we got home, I headed for BiLo's where I spent a lovely hour grocery shopping . Before I began my shop, the rain held me in the truck for a bit. I didn't mind at all as curtains of rain fell around me. You see, we are back in a severe drought here and so this remnant of a fall Hurricane has been good for us. I heard someone on the news today say that they were used to the summer hurricanes which brought heat and mugginess. I wonder if there is less damage when the storm comes in November. We are due two more full days of rain and about 4-6 inches of liquid gold. The trees need this soaking more than anything. We've had so little rain that their roots tend to turn loose of the soil and fall over. We carry buckets of water to our young fruit trees weekly, but the big oak trees, maples and cedars are needing what God provides, not what little we can do.

After Hurricane Hugo ( September, 1989) which was a disaster for all of South Carolina and most of North Carolina, we tend not to say such things as "we need a good hurricane to bring us rain." At least not where anyone can hear us. For the most part, there is no such thing as a "good" hurricane. For the other part we don't want people glaring at us and wishing us ill. Earlier this afternoon as I sat in my pretty red truck and waited for the rain to slack off, I said a prayer of thanks for all of Chesterfield County and hopeful that any flooding is light and non damaging. But God, how we needed that rain. How thankful we are to receive it!
http://bunnyawards.blogspot.com/2009/11/pearl-of-giveaway.html
will take you to a pearl of a giveway from my pal, Debra...please go by and check in!

16 comments:

Nessa said...

I'm glad you are getting the rain you need. We had extra this year.

Blast from the Past

Carver said...

Glad you're getting the needed rain. My part of NC had a terrible drought for a year and a half until sometime in 2008. Since then we've had plenty of rain but I'll never take the rain for granted again.

Finding Pam said...

Your gratitude post is great and I know how much the rain will help. We had a lot of rain from that last system that went through here. Thankfully, the tornados missed us, but the water soaked trees fell over.

Blessings,
Pam

Jeni said...

Yep -rain does have a tendency to bring on a sort of "bi-polar" type reaction from us, doesn't it? We all love the sunshine, warm temps, even accepting of cooler temps too as long as that old sun is shiny down on us. But much as many of us may whine and complain about the rain (yes, I do that, frequently) I think too we all realize that it is an absolute necessity of life, isn't it?
Or as that old poem goes "Into each life some rain must fall" and we do need to think of all the vital things that rely on rainfall to be sustained.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am thankful for your rain. We have had a gloomy day, but I have a little lifting of my gloom and for that I am thankful!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am thankful for your rain. We have had a gloomy day, but I have a little lifting of my gloom and for that I am thankful!

Anonymous said...

You are in the same weather zone I am in. We had threatening rain all day making the joints ache. No rain yet. We don't need it, and even if we don't get it, my joints feel it.
QMM

SandyCarlson said...

Lovely!

Maria said...

Life and death are in the power of the tongue!

Shadow said...

i so love rainy days. for what it provides but for the atmosphere most of all...

Boozy Tooth said...

Sandi... so happy you got your liquid gold. Droughts are not fun and then you have to worry about the wild fires...

So glad you have such a wonderful perspective and are thankful.

PS: One of my childhood friends lives in Charleston and had just closed a new home she and her husband built when Hurricane Hugo hit and demolished her neighborhood. The house lost its roof and was severely damaged by rain and flooding. They hadn't even moved in yet! Talk about heartbreak and bad luck.

Zuzana said...

So true. rain is so vital for plants and trees, nothing can live without water. I am an avid gardener and I know how important daily water is for all my plants. Therefore, I too like a mild summer rain.
And, to have been through two hurricanes, I also am more than familiar with the destruction they can bring.
xo

Casdok said...

Sounds like a very welcome relief. We all to easily take the weather for granted. Hope you get enough but not too much!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

They say the Gods will never send us anything we can't handle (although my little brother's actions make me question that at times lol). I'm glad you got your rain and very happy that you are thankful for your blessing.

Lee said...

Guess I'm a little late in getting around to reading this one, Sandi. Sorry about that! It's a great thing you are getting the left over rain and not the hurricaine. My church prayed for moderate rain and we got more than we expected because God was good to us. We just needed to not get on the road till He was done with watering.

Hugs,
Lee

cheshire wife said...

We had a very dry early Autumn which left us in desperate need of rain and now we have had too much! Everything is wet and so soggy. We really needed the rain when the weather was warmer. Now our water butts which were empty are full with the liquid gold! I like your terminology.