Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Byetta Diet

Okay, so I've already fallen off my "POST DAILY DIET" but then, that's how most of my diets end up. I'm making a concerted effort here, though. I'm going to tell you all about what's been going on in my life the past few weeks. It's called Byetta. Now, most of you know that I have some, we'll call them, health issues. You know, for my entire life I was always what I considered healthy. I never came down with colds, never missed work on account of illness (in fact had 60 days built up even after I'd taken six weeks off to get Mac back on his feet after his open heart surgery) and was just in general a happy healthy girl. I could get in a tussle and come out of it with nary a scratch or even breathing hard. Then all of a sudden it was diabetes, heart trouble, RA and that pesky broken neck. But I pulled though it all with a lot of determination and loads of prayers!

Baby Sister came over one day and I told her that she looked better than I had seen her in long while. She had more color in her cheeks, her eyes twinkled and she'd lost what looked like thirty or more pounds. She told me that her doctor had changed her from Insulin to Byetta. She said that her blood sugar had been in better control than it had in ages and the bonus was that she had lost the weight she'd put on. She explained that it made you a bit nauseous so you should eat within a few minutes of taking it, but the plus side was that your hunger was gone, you didn't want to snack all the time. WooHoo...sounds like a plan. I'd been unable to take off the extra 20 pounds that I'd packed on after my neck surgery. My blood glucose levels stayed high no matter how much sugar and bread I cut out. I haven't had real sugar in years, I'm a Splenda girl all the way. I only eat whole wheat bread and limit my fat intake. I have what they call Brittle Diabetes. So anyway, I talked to Dr. Moyd about trying the Byetta to see if we could bring this problem under control. He agreed to let me try it.

I started the Byetta about three weeks ago. I was startled the first time I checked my glucose level and it was 111. It hadn't seen numbers that low in years. I had struggled to get those numbers down to no avail. I danced through the house on a cloud holding the meter in my hand and taking it to show Mac. It's been pretty much that way ever since. It's just that little bit of gagging that keeps me out of the kitchen, away from the pantry and with one eye on the bathroom door. Yes, there is that little side effect that is warned about in the literature. But I've lost ten pounds and can we all spell HAPPY GIRL? Well I for one know that I'm totally in love with my new diet buddy. Okay, so it's not pleasant. But I can live with it. Better yet, I can LIVE with it! Now if they'll just come up with a treatment for the RA that doesn't make me sick we're in business!

30 comments:

Vee said...

Byetta? I'll be mentioning this to my dad. Noooo, I'll be mentioning this to my mother and we'll see if she wants to mention it to my dad. I hope that the nausea goes away, though. That part doesn't sound like fun.

About the playlist...I see it there and looking normal, well, except for that spruced-up color thing that they did to all our playlists. But the other day when I was here, there was just one song on it. No kidding. Just one. And I worried that you had dumped it and started over as some who shall remain nameless (Penny) did! I was delighted to see it back. (Not that you ever did anything to it, must've been a problem with my computer.)

Vee said...

Okay, this is just weird. I'm on your blog complaining about your playlist and you're on mine complaining about the video. I don't know why you can't see it or why you can't play it. You do have to click on the big green arrow in the center. And, but you know this, it's in its own post.

Sally said...

Such great news (sorry about the side effect, though). As my dad used to tell my mom, 'if you're a happy girl, I'm a happy boy'. :)

Ten pounds is a LOT!! ((HUGS))

Terri Steffes said...

I am glad you found something that is working for you. That is the battle, isn't it?

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Never heard of it. I'm going to research it and then get it!

Well done on the great weight loss. I could see you dancing throughout the house. Great imagery! Keep it up!

Nancy said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. My husband is a skinny diabetic (non-insulin), but has a Dr. appt soon, so we will ask about the Byetta. Thanks.

Jeannie said...

Great news! I hope that's it for side effects - seems like a win-win if you don't mind a little nausea.

larkswing said...

Congrats! But hope the nausea wears off soon!

Love Bears All Things said...

Hey, whatever works, girl. I say this sounds like a winner. Congratulations on losing the 10 pounds. I've been trying to make a start since the first of the week. Hopefully, this week will help because there's no food in this house and the weather is cooperating. I am walking. I set a goal of 5 pounds for February. I don't have a scale here so it will be March 2 before I can weigh. Keep your fingers crossed.
Mama Bear

Carol Murdock said...

Well....I believe it's spelled:
HAPPY GIRL ! I'm a very happy girl you have found something that helps and I hope the side effects go away!
Carol

Unknown said...

Cool! So do you feel better not counting the sick to stomach feeling.............

Anonymous said...

This is off the subject, Sandi, but I live in rural Iowa and our jobs are going to South Carolina! Our small factories end up relocating there. Which I guess says a lot for South Carolina. But we are a little worried. <;-)

SandyCarlson said...

Good for you, Sandi. I a happy for you. I have not heard of that diet before. You learned me something good.

Denise said...

Girl friend.... HE will bring you the rest of the way and I am so glad that the 10lbs are gone and go girl for the rest of it..... I will pray about the side effects. AND I never had my sound turned on so no idea about the playlist........

windycorner said...

Sounds like a wonder drug. You must be ecstatic to find something that works so well. Will losing a few pounds make the RA a little easier to take?

Nessa said...

That's great that your new medicine is working so well.

Lee said...

Yay! Keep up the good progress, Sandi! You'll be pre-marriage weight before you know it. :-)

Hugs!
Lee

Hilary said...

I'm happy for you.. except for that side effect. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that on a regular basis. But if you're able to cope then that's just wonderful. :)

Cheffie-Mom said...

Wow, I'm happy for you, that's great news. I will tell my parents about Byetta. Sounds very effective!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I have taken this and it is good to keep the sugar down and helps control the hunger away. have a great night...m.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I have taken this and it is good to keep the sugar down and helps control the hunger away. have a great night...m.

Barbara Jean said...

Sandi,
Thanks for coming by to check out my 100th post giveaway.

What two things are you thankful for??
Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Justabeachkat said...

Ten pounds?! Good for you! Byetta sounds like a wonder drug. I hope your tummy feels better though.

Hugs!
Kat

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Well done Sandi, I don't know if we have Byetta in England, but I shall google it.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Never heard of it, but like Vee, I'm going to mention it to my dad!
Great news that it's working so well for you. I couldn't do anything that caused nausea, I'm a big whiny baby when it comes to that.

cheshire wife said...

We don't have Byetta, here in the UK. It sounds like a wonder drug. Hope the side effects wear off.

Deb said...

Hi ~ I am so happy for you and for Baby Sister! What a relief it is to find a drug/medicine that does its job with limited side effects! Keep on dancing!

myonlyphoto said...

Sandi, Byetta? never heard about it. Good for you and I am happy for you. Lets hope there will be something for RA in the future. Excellent, you keep up. Anna :)

Marites said...

Never heard of Byetta but it seems it's working quite well with you and your sis. I will have to keep that in mind as I have relatives that are diabetic. They might like to try Byetta.

Congrats in getting your sugar low. Keep up the good work! :)

Count Sneaky said...

The Count's wife of 53 years just came down with type 2 diabetes and is taking Byetta now and trying to cope with the disease process. So, your blog is a good source of information and encouragement. We are now one of your followers and look forward to more information and help with this disease.
Count Sneaky