Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Knocking on Heaven's Door


It has been weeks since I have been here . I have a good excuse though. I was so near death's door that the knocker on it bore my face, grimaces and all. It started out with a little case of fire ant bites. It progressed to Cellulitis for which I was unsuccessfully treated, and then the gas gangrene arrived. I had only heard of gas gangrene in old war movies, so it seemed so far removed from my reality that when the surgeon broke the news, I didn't understand what he meant. When he started talking amputation I think I may have just shut down for a bit. In fact they had to point out the red streaks running up my right leg to bring home the seriousness of my situation. The first operation to clear out the gangrene followed with the second operation the following day to remove the first nearly five inches off my right foot. I went through that with good results, then visited the wound clinic and Dr Bannister to discuss the Bariatric Chamber. The pure oxygen that is fed through the long clear Outer Space looking chamber aids in healing, especially for those who are diabetic. I started the treatment on a Monday. The very next Friday I was back in the hospital, breathing being a difficulty now. I had gone home with way to much of a fluid buildup. I was having trouble getting rid of it and my normally 155 pound body was now at 197. It took several weeks and two more admissions to finally get the medication right. Double Pneumonia nearly carried me off, it seemed I couldn't catch a break. I had so many people praying for me that I was able to keep up my spirits and depression was never a problem. Even when they had to drain the fluid from around my lungs, I was still smiling. So now I am waiting for skin grafting, then it is back into the Bariatric Chamber. I was cleared for that by my cardiologist yesterday. So I am back. I always wanted to wear a size 4 shoe, but this is not exacty how I envisioned it...given that my balance is not what it once was I have decided that size 4 is not what it is cracked up to be. But I can live with it. I know I have been away for awhile and I have missed you all...I hope you have missed me, too.

9 comments:

Sally said...

Very definitely have missed you, sweet Sandi. In fact, long before now I would have been over here inquiring about you/Mac/the family had I not been keeping up on FB.

You're really going through it, and I am so very sorry. Your faith, family, friends, your LORD being with your I can tell kept you going. I'll continue to pray for you constantly.

Remembering what my granddaughter went through after her accident; losing a lot of her foot, all the surgeries, the grafting, helped me to realize what indeed you're going through.

I pray you keep up the great attitude, and know many love you, as do I. xoxo

Vee said...

Like crazy! Oh my darling friend, I am told that things don't happen to us, they happen for us, but I am having trouble with all that you have been through. I'm just so glad that you are one determined gal with more grit than most. May the healing continue and may you feel better with each passing day and may comfort and peace seep way down into your spirit. Keeping you in my prayers and sending love...

Finding Pam said...

I am sorry to hear what you have been through. Prayer is a powerful. Lifting you up for continued healing. Keep your chin up.

Suldog said...

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear of your recent bad times, but happy to see you're now doing well enough to write about them.

I may have told you I had a bout with cellulitis this season (took a couple of very bad hits on my shins, playing ball, one open wound became infected) and had some serious pain for a while. I had no idea it could progress like it did with you. I guess I was lucky.

God bless. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Lee said...

OMG, Sandi!
LOVE your stories! Even the scary ones. ;-) Thank you for sharing some of the details. Now I'm going to look up gas gangrene to learn a little bit about it. You know how glad I am that you survived all of that! You are still on the church prayer list. You'll be there till your recovery and ability to get around on your own is complete. Glad to see you're back to blogging. What a lovely way to start my day!!!
Love you Sis,
Lee

Hilary said...

Oh Sandi, I am so sorry to hear that you've been through such a difficult and painful time. But happy to read that you are on the mend. Sending warm, healing, positive thoughts and hugs your way.

Donna said...

Oh Sandi...You've just been through hell! Sending lots of hugs and tons of prayer!!!
((((HUG))))

Anonymous said...

I used to be able to find good info from your blog articles.



Have a look at my page :: brands twitter

ancient one said...

I'm sorry, I did not know... but I'm so glad you are doing better and you're able to joke about it. Sandi, you are such a blessing to so many people.