Sunday, October 20, 2013

Because a Bet's a Bet

I love Baseball.  I have always loved Baseball and once kept scrapbooks with lineups of the Yankees and the Cubs and oh yes, my beloved Tigers.  Until my cousin Buck was born when I was 14, I was my granddad's only grand son.  I was a tomboy extraordinaire who climbed trees and fought boys and played ball.  I sat at his feet on Saturday mornings while we watched the game and listened to Dizzy Dean explain the plays.  I hated the Umps as much as Daddy Dwight (unless they called the play in our team's favor).  I pulled for the damn Yankees with a passion and still do.  I love the Cubbies because they are underdogs and deserve my concern.  But back to the Tigers...in 1958 Billy Martin was my favorite...perhaps I was influenced by my Grandfather's roaring his name.  Perhaps.  And then there was Sparky Anderson, one of the best managers in baseball in my opinion.  But I'm not here to sing the praises of the Tigers...no, I bow to the fates of the field and give all honor to the Red Sox. 

Just so we all are clear here, my buddy Suldog presented me with a wager.  If the Tigers won to advance to the series he would post about it, if the Sox won, well the job fell to me.  I have never rooted for the Red Sox.  I am also a Yankees fan.  It galls me to admit that the Tigers fell to the Sox but there you have it...they played better.  If they hadn't played better, then you would be reading Suldog's post about the Tigers.  And mind you, I got up off my sick bed (I have the flu) to uphold my end of the bargain.   So this post is for http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/  because he is a pal and I made a promise.  Homage to you Red Sox...and I'm not gagging because I said your name.  I have the FLU for cripes sake.  Now get out there and show them Cards how the game is played!

8 comments:

Suldog said...

You are an upstanding payer of wagers. Thanks! I hope you feel much better, real soon :-)

ancient one said...

Long, long ago my sister pulled for the Yankees and I pulled for the Brooklyn Dodgers... Her team won the most.. they had Mickey Mantle.. Gosh that was a long time ago...

Lee said...

You're lucky Sandi. Baseball wasn't as popular where I grew up and I didn't really get to know the excitement of watching a game until I was in the Navy. Don't really have a favorite team but I love some of those wonderful stories about baseball history. Good post! Hope you feel better!

Vee said...

Awww...sorry for the flu...handy excuse that for the gagging... We have war in the camp here...the oldest grand is a loyal Cardinals fan having selected them as a four year old who liked pretty birds. That's the only possible explanation. Then there's the sensible one, his younger brother, who is a Red Sox fan. My, it'll be exciting at their house!

Feel better, Dear Heart.

ancient one said...

Hope you are feeling better today...

Sally said...

You always tell the best stories, and I sure hope you're feeling better soon, sweet lady. (hugs)

Hilary said...

Oh poor you.. for the flu.. not the bet. I hope you're tip top by now.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The took home the whole banana... if that eases your pain.
Feel better!