Thursday, January 20, 2011

Temper Temper!

The header is my new one for the winter.  This is what it looked like for nearly 2 weeks.  There was ten inches of snow then three or four inches of ice on top of that and when I looked out the back door I knew we weren't going anywhere.  Not anytime soon.  Or as my Bubbles (Violet Loxley) would say, if the snow is shiny, it will hurt your hiney. 

So we've sort of been stuck in here together for days, getting on each others nerves.  War broke out once or twice, but luckily older son was iced in with us and acted as referee.  It could have gotten bad, but at least we never lost power.  That in itself was a blessing from heaven.  We had to go rake snow off the satellite a couple of times but other than that, we kept each other entertained with tales of who had cabin fever to the nth degree, me or him. 

Funny how much I love snow.  I mean I love our kind of snow, the here today gone tomorrow kind of snow.  Then we got Jersey Snow.  The snow that is here today and here tomorrow and still here in April.  Yes, I've lived through snow where Evil Sister and I had to hack a path from her back door to mine so we could play hours of Scrabble.  That was called keeping ourselves sane.  And the kids never missed a day of school.  The snow was half way up the picture window and they had school.  Chesterfield County in 1987 had 1 inch and the school was closed for days.  The boys really hated that.  A lot.

So here we are, with Jersey Snow, and high winds on top of that.  Mac had a colonoscopy scheduled for last Friday, but we couldn't get out to get the solution and tab he had to take.  So, it's was rescheduled for tomorrow.

I looked forward to getting out of here on my own Monday.  I dressed in my best wool slacks with my cashmere sweater, the beautiful shawl my sister Toni gave me and my fur hat.  I looked pretty good,  if I  do say so myself ,it made my spirits hum.  Put on my lipstick, grabbed my bag and hit the porch.  Slid three feet to the gate, looking to be sure no one saw me, straighted my hat and walked gingerly to the truck.  I was in such good humor! 

Now, we have had one insurance company for years, Tricare...most of the meds are mail order, but we get things like this from CVS and have never ever had a  problem.  I waltzed into CVS Pharmacy, handed over the prescription and went to wander around the store while they filled it.  I heard someone calling my name, and got over to the counter as quickly as I could.  The lady behind the counter told me that the insurance company had declined to pay because we had other insurance.  I asked what DOB she had used.  It was the right one.  I asked if it was Tricare.  It was.  She said she would call them to see what might be the problem.

So, she gets someone on the line and begins to explain that the prescription was being turned down for payment and that the customer claimed no other insurance.  She was nodding and rolling her eyes and she looked at me and asked if I would like to talk to her.  I narrowed my eyes and held out my hand for the phone.

"Now, just what seems to be the problem here?"  I asked her. 
"Well, " she says, "it appears that you have another insurance that should cover this,  madam, and you should use that one before trying to make  the government pay."

Remember the little girl in The Exorcist, the one whose head spun around and she began to spit green soup?  Well, no, I didn't do all of that, but I did choose my words carefully.  "Now, you listen to me, I don't know where you are, but I can assure you that where ever you are, my husband spent a lot of time keeping you safe.  It's a pity that a man can put thirty years in the Navy and then you make a statement like that!  My husband's time in service has more than paid for any medication or medical treatment that this government, such as it is, provides.  We only have the insurance that we have had for the past 21 years the one that you are trying to represent.  I suggest you fix this error and quickly. And DON'T CALL ME MADAM!"  I handed the phone back to the lady behind the Pharmacy counter.  She was smiling from ear to ear.  She kept saying "yes, yes, of course.  No the customer is still here, we'll take care of it right now."

She hung up as I was straightening my hat again and looked out at me and told me that they had taken the red flag off the account and the order would be filled.  Then she started laughing outright.
"Mrs. McBride, I don't know when I've enjoyed a conversation with an insurance company more.  And might I say, you looked quite elegant up there on your high horse!"  I started to laugh with her, and told her I might need some help getting down from it to insure I didn't do myself an injury.  I don't know when I've enjoyed losing my temper more!

 

53 comments:

ancient one said...

Loved, loved, this post!! Having to deal with stuff like this myself... I might get me a high horse and a shawl...LOL

Donna said...

Hahaaaaa.... I think I enjoyed this more than you did!! Good for You Girlfriend!!!
Hughugs

Sally said...

Well, madam, I guess you told her! I'm sorry, but I'm laughing, not at you of course.

Mrs. McBride, I hope you're having a good evening. And, I love the header!! xxoo

Terri Steffes said...

*SNAP*

I am so proud of you! I wish I could have been a fly on that wall!

Jeanne said...

Love the header. If it's any consolation we've been getting hammered with cold and snow. Good for you on the pharmacy phone call!

Denise said...

Good for you!!!!!! If we do not take up for ourselves no one will. It is getting out of hand and if we do not speak up we are toast! My Mom and Dad had TriCare and it was wonderful! I am glad that you have such a wonderful insurance...... It will keep you well.......where the medicare will not one of these days...

(I hung up on a florist today for being rude)

Sharon Rose said...

Go sister, Go sister. . .
Better let it flow sister. . .
Itchy, itchy, ya-ya, ta-ta. . .

Or something like that. . .

Well, dear, I guess you got what you needed. Very well, then. Carry on!

Hope all is well with you and Max.

Brian Miller said...

smiles...way to stand up for yourself...insurance companies...ugh...have a wonderful evening...

Lee said...

OhMyGod! Sandi that's so funny! I can just imagine you like that. I bet your hair got redder too. LOL It's a good thing the world, and especially me, has a good example like yourself to show us how we should stand up for ourselves!

Love,
Lee

word verificaiton: roweei

ds said...

Good for you!!

Jules~ said...

That is amazing! Good for you. I bet it felt really good. I know from experience myself that it is not always easy to get Tricare to listen to reason.

Shadow said...

well done, sandy!

Love Bears All Things said...

Good for you!!
However, it is good to remember that the person you were speaking with just had a job with that company...although she needed help with her CSR skills and didn't have to take that tone.

After the January 9th snow storm, the grands were out of school for 4 days which is unheard of and then started at 11:00 on the 5th day...they were so ready to go back to school...Wonder Boy's Birthday is 27 of May and he wants school to break for summer by then so he doesn't want anymore snow days. We had a dusting last night..the ground is covered but the roads are fine...this is more what we're used to...but 3 snows in one winter?
Mama Bear

larkswing said...

oh. my. gosh. I am rolling! I need a picture of you to fill in in my minds image of you sliding across the ice and setting that insurance gal straight. Just what I needed to read - made me forget about this ridiculous headache!

P.S. be prepared - looks like another white storm coming next week. ugh!!

Carver said...

I always enjoy your stories so much. I hope you'll get a break in the weather soon.

Akelamalu said...

LOL well you sure told them! Loved it.

Hilary said...

Darn.. no video? ;) Good for you, Sandi. I like it when the good guy wins!

Jeanne said...

Hey Sandi girl, just wanted to tell you there's a new post with some kitty love on the bloggy.

SandyCarlson said...

Way too much snow for down there! Thanks for a gret post.

i beati said...

been there- -it's the beautiful stillness I love

Maggie May said...

Your snow is really bad. We grumble here but at least we don't usually get trapped in for days.
I am so pleased that we don't have to pay for prescriptions (my age group) and remind me not to moan about our NHS ever again.
Hope Macs test goes well. I would hate it!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Unknown said...

"And don't call me Madam" LOL!! Way to go Sandi, sounds like you were in full sail. The nerve of insurance companies never fails to astound me!

jay said...

Aaaaah, I do love reading stories like this! It's heartwarming and my sense of justice is satisfied!! How DARE they tell you what insurance you have, or don't have? How did she think she would know better than you? GRR!

I'm so glad to hear you sorted her out - and made the pharmacist smile, too!

And to look elegant while doing so? A huge bonus!

Attagirl! ;)

NeereAnDear said...

Hey Sandi,

shoot me an email and can give you a heads up on my disappearing act... not sure I still have your addy ...

HUGS
JO

CatHerder said...

lol..great post....we are due another 2 feet of snow this week..i hate jersey in the winter lol....like your 'madam' comment...if ANY of my sons friends call me maam...i refuse to feed them

SandyCarlson said...

Good for you. Yeesh. Where do they get off thinking they can talk to you like that? Wow.

Anonymous said...

Well...snow or not...I am heading down that way anyway! :) xoxo

cheshire wife said...

Well done! I wish that I could sort out our problems so easily but will have to settle for writing a post or two about them.

bj said...

Way to go, girlfriend. They act like they own the whole world.
xo bj

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Oh a girl after my own heart! I like a good lambasting every now and again, especially with jobsworths who quote chapter and verse! great result and well done.

Re the snow - we too were snowed in for two weeks. Brilliant! Loved it but was greatful when it finally went.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Oh well said Sandi. We should all speak up for ourselves more and not be put upon. A x

Deb said...

I am sitting here laughing outloud ~ you painted a wonderful picture with your words. I could see the whole thing...I know who to call the next time I need to go up against the insurance companies ! Hope the snow and ice is melting away !

Zuzana said...

Oh, I think insurance companies are the same everywhere.;) I love your persistency and guts, I really wish I was more like that.;)
Enjoy your snow (if you still have it?), ours have vanished all together and I miss it.;)
I love your new header.;)
xoxo

Unknown said...

Now THAT was telling 'em babe!!! The way is really is, your husband out there on the lines and the insurance company tries that crap! Am so glad you have tons of spunk Sandi.

Vee said...

Oh have I got a pile of phone calls to make that just may require your good sense. I'm taking notes. I also hate to be called "madam." The next numbnut that decides to use the phrase is going to hear what I really think.

Suldog said...

Brava! May I hire you out to folks who need someone to take an uppity person on the other end of the phone down a peg or two? I think there might be some money in it! :-)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yeah Sandi!!!!!Next time I have an insurance problem I am going to call you :-)
xoxo
Penny

The Cat Photographer said...

Loved the post Sandi! Fab! Goodness I've missed your writings!

Ida

Niki said...

I just found you....and on the right day too!! Just Perfect :)

Carol at Serendipity said...

Perfect, just perfect. has made my day.

Carol

Gwendolyn said...

What a hoot! You certainly had me picturing your "situation"! Good to meet you!

Diney said...

Yes! Justice was done. Well done! I enjoyed reading your post as ever :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog The Back 340. If you are interested I have a web site www.midrivers.com/~zoe4u

I enjoyed reading some of your blog, will be back.

Betty \0/

Justabeachkat said...

Oh sweet friend, I wish I was snowed in for a few days with you! Lordy, I would love to spend some time with you.

Hope you didn't hurt your hiney when you slipped but it did give me a chuckle when you looked around, straightened your hat and kept going. LOL

Hugs,
Kat

Merisi said...

*giggles*

There are days when it is well worth dressing up for a visit to CVS! ;-) And good to know that a human error cannot stand in the way when government is supposed to be there to come through for you.

Pondside said...

We'll all be calling you for help when we're in a spot with a big company!
Good for you for standing up and calling the bluff. I've been dealing with prescriptions a lot in the last week and am SO grateful for comprehensive insurance!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I love your moxie!! It makes me wonder, as I am apt to do, how many folks just back down and pay. Also wonder if this oerson earns a commission on the amount she "saves" the insurance company. I wonder about so many things .....

NitWit1 said...

My trouble with the military insurance is there is a vast difference between Tricare For which you pay a premium, and TRICARE FOR LIFE. Since we are 65 we mayve Medicare and Tricare for Life.

If you are not Medicare eligible, it is another kind of TRICARE for which a premium is paid and it used to be called Champus.

Glad your husband was there to keep the green stuff away. As a Pharmacist I shunned those I diagnosed might regurgitate anything--green would just about put me out.

myonlyphoto said...

Lol Sandi that one good story, you made me laugh. Yes stand up for yourself, lol. Anna :)

CatHerder said...

HEY SANDI WHERE ARE YOU lol..snowed in i presume

NitWit1 said...

I've spent 42 years being sure my husband and I get all the benefits we are entitled to. Further I have correct his records like he had diabetes on his VA record--never had that. He would have had 1005 VA disability a whole lot sooner, if he'd turned me loose.

We neve tried to get any thing not due us, but sometimes it was like pulling hen's teeth. Glad you got to let off some STEAM

merry weather said...

This post made me smile Sandi! I feel like going out and buying a hat immediately. I love the idea of you riding into town a high horse - chuckle - good for you Lady.

And the big snowy header sets the scene perfectly. Here in my kitchen I'm looking from side to side and really "feeling it"!

Hope all is Ok with you two?
Hug X

Mima said...

Brilliant, I wish you had a video that you could put on youtube so we could watch you put her in her place - insurance companies are awful, and they, and especially she, were really out of order.