Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's a Robot World

I saw the neatest thing on Good Morning America, this morning. It seems we are about to become a Robot nation, and I think I could deal with some of it. There was this one robot who had big puppy eyes that really looked sorrowful. He was pleading with those baby blues (yeah, really, blue eyes) to put him to work. He had long arms which could be used to get things off a high shelf, or bend over to put things on a low shelf. I'm not sure if he could run the vacuum cleaner, but I'm thinking if you hitched him up to a wagon, there would be some powerful vacuuming going on. He could hold a dust cloth (or dust rag in our southern vernacular, dust rag, wash rag, drying rag...they were all rags because our people refuse to throw anything away. We were recycling long before recycling became fashionable). I'm not sure if he could dust the finer porcelain items on my whatnot shelves, I might have to do that myself, but he could certainly dust the coffee tables, the TV screen, and other flat surfaces that are clutter...no no, decorated with all my lovely things. Hmm, now he is rolling those baby blues, do I really want one more thing in here that rolls it's eyes? You know, not only my children are prone to eye rolling, the man of the house and couple of the cats are eye rollers, too. My favorite Bill Cosby line was always, "don't you roll those eyes at me (muttering beneath breath, I'll roll that little head). No, no eye rollers wanted here. And I have a sneaking suspicion it may be a whiner, too. Can't bear whining, or something else I have to pick up after. So, the other robot is for people who are interested in their health. I'm interested in my health, else why do I take that suitcase load of medicine everyday? This robot takes the information you feed into its' memory, like what you had for breakfast , then it breaks it down into caloric value, fat value and cholesterol value. To start out, you put what you had for breakfast into it. Okay, here goes, 1 slice whole wheat toast 1/2 teaspoon butter, 1 teaspoon sugarfree jelly, 1 cup coffee, 2 teaspoons skim milk, 1 boiled egg. Uh huh. Then the amount of exercise you have done for that morning. It breaks that down into how many calories burned and how much weight loss you can expect after four weeks. So, here goes. Ran 2 miles, 1 mile up road, 1 mile back. Worked out on exercise machine for 20 minutes. Vacuumed living room because lazy robot claims he doesn't have any legs to work machine. (I told you, it's a whiner. I hate whiners. Okay, sure, I ate nothing, and worked like a fiend and it's not even 9 am? So what if , just what if, now, I put the whole truth and nothing but the truth, in the health robot...ok, plate of grits, with butter, 3 strips bacon, 1 fried egg, 1 biscuit with tablespoon of honey. Grab another biscuit, that one was so good with honey, lets try the new pear jam that Joanne made. Oh yeah, baby, now that is good. Okay, so now to enter the exercise I got since getting out of bed this morning...got out of bed. Turned on tv. Turned on coffee pot. Wandered around kitchen looking for new bag of cat food so I can feed them and shut them up. Sat on edge of couch, yawning and attempting to keep eyes open while coffee maker drips at least one cup of coffee into the pot, steal first cup of coffee (man that's strong) from pot, lean against wall and wonder why I'm up at 6 a.m. So what have I accomplished since getting up? I've contemplated putting in my home one more thing to take care of (I can just see that robot helper now with bursitis and a headache) and something else to lie to about my healthy life style. Why import a robot to lie to when I lie to myself so well?

6 comments:

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Haha! Sandi, I've been in bed all day (still feel flu-ey and achey) so my exercise quota today must be zilch! Luckily, I haven't felt like eating much!! Just to let you know the postman tried to deliver a parcel to me yesterday when I was at work, and as it takes two days over here to rearrange delivery, it should be arriving Saturday-maybe it's the grits!! I will let you know as soon as they arrive-am most excited-could do with some hearty grits (I imagine them to be very healthy and hearty!!)Take care-don't go overdoing it on the exercise front lol!!xx

pinkgreen said...

Would the robot make a cup of tea and bring it to me in bed? If so I could trade Andy in for one!
Cathy X

Sandi McBride said...

I think we could maybe program these guys to bring tea, play music and read us a book...now that would be a ROBOTIC experience!

Abbie said...

as an unmarried gal, a stud robot doesn't sound like a bad idea...youknowwhuImean??? lol

Sandi McBride said...

Just as I was about to say Sophie and Cathy's minds are in the bedroom way to much, up pops Abbs with a comment about a stud robot...I'm sure she must be from South, now...we have double entendres for EVERYTHING!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

But is he really cute? I might be motivated by a good looking robot...
Pfft~ not even that!