Sunday, December 15, 2013

THE CHRISTMAS TREE PART DEUX

I have spent the days since Thanksgiving so sick that at times I was unable to sit up and take a sip of water. We went to Florida to spend the holiday with Mac's family. Some of the visitors came with a little something extra. While trying to combat the flu I came down with a particularly nasty case of pneumonia. I am feeling well enough to attempt a bit of decorating...the tree is first on my list... Oh my tree this year is going to be so beautiful. It's nonflammable, it's pre-lit...and it's white. No strings of lights to untangle is the absolute best thing ever. I remember in years past waiting for anyone to walk through the front door and untie me. There were always at least 50 strings of lights that someone (who shall remain nameless because I can't find anyone to take the blame) removed from the tree, did not disconnect one from the other,and just rolled them into a ball and threw them in a box. Know why? Because it is just too much trouble to take care of at the time, and I really don't want anyone to miss out on the ranting and raving that will follow the opening of "the box". Oh and the screams of "who put these lights in this box?" I think it may be time to come clean with myself. I know who it was that put the lights in the box. I'm the only one who decorates in here, and I'm also the only one who "undecorates", so why deny it? Undecorates. I think I may have just made up a word. I wonder if it'll work in Scrabble? But I digress. So the tree is in it's infancy...I started the decorating earlier this week and am adding things slowly so that it's all even and doesn't have the "stood back and threw the junk on it" look. While I may be a bit impatient removing the tree ornaments, I have the patience of Job when it comes to the actual decoration. Once I could let the sheer beauty of the live tree take the brunt of the disorganizational frenzy of frolic. But now, sigh, we have a fake tree. Or to put a better spin on it, we now have a Faux Tree. I got a white one to celebrate the fact that no one in the house smokes anymore, (a nicotine coloured tree is the most horrible sight to behold). I've always wanted a white tree, imitation snow...it's supposed to be in the 60's today so it's a bit of a stretch on the imagination, but if I turn the a/c on and get it to about 50 I can put on a sweater and stand in front of tree with a cup of coffee to help warm me up. That's after I finish decorating it. By the time that happens it may be in the forties outside and there will be no need of pretense. I will be done with the decorating as soon as I reach "critical mass". Not one limb left unadorned, not one light left unlit and the floor groans with the sheer weight of it all. Ah, Christmas...it's the most wonderful time of the year...

9 comments:

Sally said...

Hey Sandi-first, I am so glad that you're feeling some better and hope you'll be completely well soon.

I know the tree will be beautiful! Hunter wanted a little white tree here, and I let her decorate it. To her it's beautiful, so it is to me also. :)

Have a blessed Sunday.
xoxo

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you were the recipient of the little something extra that was brought down to Florida. Enjoy your tree - ours is fake too - a beautiful convenient fake!

Pondside said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you were the recipient of the little something extra that was brought down to Florida. Enjoy your tree - ours is fake too - a beautiful convenient fake!

Vee said...

I read this aloud to John. He's still yapping about you creativity. He would never think of a floor giving way beneath the weight of a perfectly decorated tree.

So sorry that you have been under the weather. Are you able to take echinacea? It does a great job of helping to build immunities. Take care of yourself and take it slow and steady.

Akelamalu said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I love decorating the tree, in fact I have always guarded that job and would never allow anyone to interfere, even my sons when they were children! I love the whole Christmas thing. :)

Lee said...

Happy Holidays Sandi!
I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better! And congratulations on preserving living trees this holiday season! I always had a fake one after I outgrew the quaking ficus in a pot tree because I got married. Decorating is so much fun, but taking the decorations down is so anticlimactic that it's no wonder someone always throws the lights in a wad into the box instead of neatly repackaged. My ex always did the same. Hope you'll post a picture of your lovely decorated tree soon. And BTW, your post got me started playing Xmas music!
Love you Sis!
Lee

Hilary said...

Ha.. don't you just hate it when you realize that the person with whom you're irked is your own self?

May your health continue to improve. It's no fun dealing with the flu.. especially at this time of the year.

Donna said...

Hope you are feeling better today Sandi!!
I also have a fake tree...:o(
hughugs

Judy said...

You make me smile...as usual!

Sorry to hear you caught 'a bug' and have been down and out. Hoping you are well on your way to recovery!